10 Reasons to Love Your Allotment in the Rain
It’s a familiar story, us Brits are wondering what has happened to summer, you’d think we’d have learnt by now! Yes it’s raining, a lot. It’s pretty easy to get stuck in a rut, especially if you, like us, are on school ‘summer’ holidays. Forget the weather is what I say, and in the words of Alfred Wainwright ‘There’s no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing”, so don your wellies and cagoule and get yourself off to the plot!
Here’s my top ten reasons to love the allotment in the rain!
- Everything outside is going to have a good watering, no effort required, leaving you more time to get all of the inside watered, greenhouses and tunnels etc…
- Water butts are going to get refilled
- Weeds are easy, I mean really easy to pull out in the rain and the ground is a breeze to turn
- Veggies are plump and fully hydrated, great for picking salad!
- A cuppa in the shed whilst will be extra cosy, listening to rain on the roof
- If slug and snail catching is your thing, now’s the time to do it!
- Rainy days can provide some great photo opportunities, I’m thinking after-shower raindrops on petals.
- It’s a great time to get any greenhouse jobs done, potting on or sowing seeds undercover when it’s not too hot in there.
- Take the opportunity to tidy the shed, there are so many handy ideas for storage and going hygge with your she shed / man cave. Take a look at my Pinterest board ‘A Tidy & Cosy Allotment Shed.
- In the event that all of the above fails to ignite a love for the rain, well, at least it makes you appreciate the fine days all the more.